Friday, December 1, 2023

Month of Mail - November 2023

Quality over quantity this month. November, 2023 saw six new autographs added to my collection including a couple of my most wanted autographs in Masterton and Brier. The new signatures raise the grand total of unique NHL player signatures in my collection to 7,424 for 92% of everyone to ever play in the league. 

                         Bill Masterton (d. 1968)
This is a huge addition to my collection. Bill Masterton was a star college player who made his NHL debut with the expansion 1967-68 Minnesota North Stars. He scored the first goal in franchise history. Tragically, Masterton died half way through his first NHL season in an on ice incident. His death eventually led to the widespread adoption of helmets in the NHL and his legacy also lives on in the NHL's Bill Masterton Trophy. This autograph also has an interesting story behind it, I acquired it from a long time collector who had originally got it from Masterton's widow in the early 70s. Along with the autograph, I obtained the original letter from his widow that accompanied the signature. The main reason I started collecting autographs was to feel closer to the game's history and I most certainly feel that here. Thanks to Dr. Price and the President's Choice team for helping me do the autograph justice with the beautiful custom card. It's easily one of my most prized possessions. 

                           Michel Briere (d. 1971)
Michel Briere scored 44 points in 76 games as an NHL rookie with the 1969-70 Pittsburgh Penguins. The emerging star was critically injured in a car accident following the season. Briere was in a coma for months an eventually passed away. Along with Masterton, his story is one of the most tragic in NHL history. The Penguins retired his #21.

                       John Ross Roach (d. 1973)
When the Toronto Maple Leafs took to the ice for the first time in 1926 their goalie was John Ross Roach. Aside from being the first goalie in Leafs history, he's notable for winning the Stanley Cup in 1922, being one of only 6 goalies ever to be an NHL captain and was an NHL All-Star. He played nearly 500 games in the NHL between the Toronto St. Pats/Maple Leafs, New York Rangers and Detroit Red Wings.

                           Morris Stefaniw
I don't think Stefaniw answers mail so I finally added one of his signatures from a team signed AHL program. Stefaniw played 13 games in the NHL with the 1972-73 Atlanta Flames. He only scored 1 goal in the NHL but it was notable for being the first goal in Flames' history.
For me this autograph is also notable for being the last I needed from the 1972-73 year of debuts. 

                     Josh Currie
Josh Currie played 21 NHL games with the 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers and 1 NHL game with the 2020-21 Pittsburgh Penguins. He recorded 5 points in 22 career NHL games. He was one of the very last of the 2018-19 debuts I needed. 

                          Pierre Engvall
I was waiting for Engvall to get a certified autograph but surprisingly he hasn't signed for Upper Deck at all. Therefore, I picked up this signed photo as Engvall was one of the last of the 2019-20 NHL debuts I still needed. Currently a member of the NY Islanders, he's in his 6th NHL season and has recorded over 100 career points in the league, including a 15 goal season with the '21-22 Leafs. 


No comments:

Post a Comment