Friday, October 5, 2018

Mail - Paul Newman


This mail post features 11 new NHL player autographs and 8 additional hockey related signatures.

The grand total of unique NHL player signatures is now at approximately 5,928 for 78% of everyone to ever play in the league. 


                              Howie Glover
From 1958 to 1969 Howie Glover scored 29 goals and 46 points in 144 career NHL games. He played with the Blackhawks, Red Wings, Rangers and Canadiens. His brother, Fred Glover, also played in the NHL. I think this was the third or fourth time I had tried writing to Howie, all sent to the same address. I'm persistent that way, trying every couple of years if I know the address is correct. This time a couple page handwritten note explaining my collection and why I collect seemed to have done the trick. Thanks Howie! There are very few living Original 6 players left for me to write to so getting a return like this is always extra special.

                             Peter Wallin
From 1980-1982 Swedish forward Peter Wallin posted 17 points in 52 regular season career NHL games with the New York Rangers. He also played 14 NHL playoff games with the Rangers in 1981.

                              Bob Attwell
From 1979 to 1981 Bob Attwell recorded 6 points in 22 career NHL games as a member of the Colorado Rockies. His father, Ron Attwell, also played in the NHL.

                          Mikhail Tatarinov
From 1990-1994 Russian defenseman Mikhail Tatarinov played 161 games in the NHL, dressing with the Capitals, Nordiques and Bruins. He was the first Soviet player to play in the NHL without defecting. He had been an international star with the USSR, being named best defenseman and winning gold at the 1990 World Championships. After retiring, he suffered from alcoholism, went to prison for murder and has pretty much fallen off the face of the earth since his release. Its hard enough to reach former players living in Russia who have remained in the public eye so I was happy to find a signed index card as I doubt I'll ever be able to send him a letter.

                  Magnus Svensson
Swedish defenseman Magnus Svensson played 46 NHL games between 1994 and 1996. Originally drafted by the Calgary Flames in 1987, he spent the majority of his career in Europe and didn't make his NHL debut until he was 31.

                    Kevin Miehm
From 1992 to 1994 Kevin Miehm played 22 regular season games in the NHL with the St. Louis Blues. He played pro hockey overseas until 2002. 

                   Sergei Klimovich
Russian forward Sergei Klimovich played 1 game in the NHL with the 1996/97 Chicago Blackhawks. He spent most of his career in Russia, playing pro there until 2011.

                      Keith Redmond
Keith Redmond played 12 NHL games with Wayne Gretzky's 1993/94 Los Angeles Kings.

                   Serge Roberge
Tough guy Serge Roberge recorded 24 penalty minutes in 9 career NHL games with the 1990/91 Quebec Nordiques. He continued playing pro hockey and dropping his gloves for a living until 2005. His brother, Mario, also played in the NHL.

                       Mike Heidt
Defenseman Mike Heidt played 6 NHL games with the 1983/84 Los Angeles Kings. He took his career to Europe and spent most of his life in Germany, gaining citizenship and representing his new country at the 1992 Olympics.

                   Peter Andersson
There have been 2 Peter Anderssons who have played in the NHL. This one was born in 1965 and played in the NHL from 1992-1994. Andersson scored 19 points in 47 career NHL games, suiting up with the New York Rangers and Florida Panthers.

-----------------------------------------
                            Paul Newman
I've had an autograph from most of the Slap Shot cast for some time. Newman was the big missing piece. I bought a signed magazine page (for a great deal because it was signed by another actor) that I was confident was authentic and used it to make this for my collection. Nancy Dowd is now the next big missing piece I need for the Slap Shot collection.

                   Katrina Bowden
I'll admit, I had no idea who Katrina Bowden was before going through this checklist. I've thrown a few opening bids on this card and finally won this one. She's an actress best known for her role on 30 Rock. 

                 Greg Wyshynski
No offense to sportswriter Greg Wyshynski, but I was amazed that he was included in this set. I was a big fan of Wyshynski when he wrote Puck Daddy for Yahoo but still, I can't imagine many people being thrilled pulling this autograph as one of their box hits. Admittedly, I've stopped visiting Puck Daddy since he's left and I haven't followed him to ESPN so I haven't read much from him lately. I also used to listen to Marek vs Wyshynski almost religiously but rarely do anymore. 

                 Audrina Patridge
As you can tell from this being the 3rd autograph from this "Fans of the Game" set, I've been trying to complete my wants thanks to a new "Pucks & Pop Culture" set I've been working on. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I like the idea but dislike the execution of this set. Not only is Patridge not pictured in any kind of hockey attire but there is no explanation of her hockey connection on the back of the card either. You have to use google to find out that she's a hockey fan. 

                   Mike "Doc" Emrick
This one goes into my "voice of the game" binder. Doc Emrick is certainly one of the most notable hockey 'voices' from the past couple of decades.

                        Rich Gosselin
I've been slowly trying to get autographs from all players who payed in the WHA but not the NHL during the 1970s. Many have proven difficult to track down. Rich Gosselin played 3 games with the 1978/79 Winnipeg Jets. As sometimes happens due to me poaching my images on the internet, the original index card I sent him had an image that wasn't him. However, he was nice enough to sign one of the protective index cards, which I used to make this with a proper image.

                                                      Pat Neshek
Pat Neshek is well known for being a fellow autograph collector and someone who will quickly sign anything you send him. I've read lots about him because I think its very cool that he's a collector, and has a huge autograph collection, but I never thought I'd have a reason to send him anything myself. I was reading a random article about his career when I stumbled upon a hockey mention. Did a little more research and sure enough, Neshek did play hockey growing up. I was happy to be able to make this card and send a request to him.

                                                         John Hiller
Along with Neshek, this goes into my hockey-baseball autograph collection. I scanned the front and the back of these particular cards so you could read the hockey connection and the reason I sent the card to be signed.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Do you have an address for Peter Wallin. I need him also. Please let me know. Thanks, Danny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Do you have an address for Bob Chrystal. I need him also. Please let me know. Thanks, Danny

      Delete
  2. Hey, Do you have an address for Bob Chrystal. I need him also. Please let me know. Thanks, Danny

    ReplyDelete